Monday, December 23, 2013

Darkness and the Devil Behind Me Audiobook Review

18607152Audiobook: Darkness and the Devil Behind Me

 

Author: Persia Walker

 

Given by: Marti Dumas (narrator) via Goodreads First Reads

 

Rating: 1/5 Won-derfuls (Not my cup of tea)


In fairness, if I removed my emotional frustration, this book would get two or there won-derfuls instead of one. However, I was so frustrated and unable to concentrate from beginning to end that I had to give it a one.

The hero of our tale is a single, black, female, society columnist living in 1920's Harlem. She investigates the disappearance of a young and talented pianist. Though she is put in frequent danger, she refuses Harlem mysteryany help. Over and over and over and over again. Instead of seeming brave, this protagonist comes across and infuriatingly obtuse. Yet she comes out on top. Every. Single. Time. If I had not promised myself that I would read any book for review in it's entirety, I would have quit early on.

Also, despite the frequent references to popular clubs and famous individuals, I could not buy in to the 20's setting. The language felt off, although I'm not sure if this was the writing or the narrator. 1920's lingo seemed randomly inserted, almost as an afterthought.

The other part of this may be my own ignorance about the time period, but having a young, single, black female stand up against every power she encounters and then be able to afford living completely independently, in New York, with a private phone line seems highly unbelievable. I get that it was the Harlem Renaissance and the heart of progression. I understand the popularity of society columns in the era. But for some reason I could still not buy into the idea of this particular woman, who openly fights the powers that be, living such a life in an era festering with racism and sexism.

The whole thing rubbed me the wrong way. It seems that I am alone in these views, however. This book has received some excellent feedback. Although I have not seen many opinions about the audiobook as it is a much newer release than the text.

Before dismissing the book, check out some other reviews as they are largely positive. It is entirely possible that I do not know enough about this place in time to appreciate the story. All I can say is that I'm glad it's over.

For other reviews or to purchase look here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be reviewed before publication. Play nice or I'll poke your Karma bubble.