Sunday, March 22, 2015

Visiting F. Scott Fitzgerald's Grave

When I was looking for bookish sites to visit in Washington D.C. I had a little bit of a challenge ahead of me.  It's not that there aren't many sites to see,  but that I was only able to look around in the evenings because I was in town for a conference that occupied most of my days.  Imagine my excitement to discover that F. Scott Fitzgerald was buried a short metro ride away!

Turn left out of Rockville station
Rockville, the second to last stop on D.C.'s Red Line, stops very close to St. Mary's church where Fitzgerald is buried. When leaving the station you turn left toward the line of newspaper dispensers and the tall building with the clock on top.


Follow Church Street until you see the cemetery on the right. The church and cemetery are less than half a mile away.

I did not see a single person on this visit but found tributes left by those who visited before me. There were flowers, coins, pens, liquor, and a copy of The Great Gatsby.  It was odd to be in this tiny graveyard surrounded by traffic and buildings while still feeling quite alone. If you're in the area this is definitely worth the stop.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be reviewed before publication. Play nice or I'll poke your Karma bubble.