Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Half a King Book Review

Book: Half a King (Shattered Sea Book One)

 

Author: Joe Abercrombie

 

Given by: Random House Publishing Group

 

Rating: 5/5 Won-derfuls (Amazing!)

 

This book was great! My review sat in Drafts growing dust long after I thought I had posted it. For shame! Anyway, I can now say that months after reading this book it has stuck with me. Here’s the review I failed to post earlier:

 

Half a King was fast to catch my attention and reluctant to release it. I quickly found myself cheering for our hero, young Yarvi, who made a promise: “I swore an oath to avenge the death of my father. I may be half a man, but I swore a whole oath.” In his own mind and in the minds of others Yarvi is weak – too weak to become the king he was meant to be. A crippled hand makes many physical tasks impossible, but Yarvi comes to find that strength comes in many forms. We follow him on his quest for revenge and watch him grow into a courageous man worthy of respect.
 
Abercrombie possesses incredible skill at bringing the reader into the setting. I can hear keys click in locks, smell the sweat of oarsmen, and feel the betrayal in the air when immersed in the pages of this book. Every paragraph is saturated in detail without becoming tedious. The characters are human and multifaceted, the lines of good and evil are not always clear, and the emotions palpable. I am recommending this book to everyone I know. I want them all to read it so I have someone to talk to about all the twists and turns! If you are searching for adventure, look no further. Abercrombie delivers again!
 
Interested? Find out more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be reviewed before publication. Play nice or I'll poke your Karma bubble.